This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Monday 27 September 2010

Pepper Harvest & Edible Flowers

I've been having fun using my home grown peppers (see photos below)! I've had a good supply of peppers in late summer although my plants seem to have now stopped forming new flowers & new peppers. I pinched off a few growing shoots to see if that makes a difference in coming weeks. Next year I plan on growing chillis as I love hot peppers!

Variety: Pepper (California Wonder), Thompson & Morgan Seeds, 30 seeds, £1.50 per pack.

Variety (below): Nasturium Dayglow Mixed, Carters Tested Seeds, 35 seeds, 79 pence per pack.
Lavender coloured Spring Onion petals are quite yummy as are nasturtiums!

Fun with an edible nasturtium (Don't eat the middle pistil and stamen bits).

I planted rocket seeds in small pots on a window sill a few weeks ago. Some baby leaves will be good added to my pasta pictured above!

3 comments:

  1. Very colorful! I never heard of rocket seeds---need to research that. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm new to your blog. Your Pepper looks great, did you grow from seed? I grew Jalapeno Peppers and Serrano. I love spicy and I use them for salsa! Organic is the way to go, no synthetic fertilizers or pesticides! I'm looking forward to following your posts. Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Priscilla, I grew the peppers from seed and found quite easy to germinate (put a plastic bag over until you see growth, etc). For 2011 I have hot chilis on my grow list. I like spicy too and I love jalapenos. I like your blog as well!

    ReplyDelete