This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Sunday 17 October 2010

Double Flower Power - azalea to primrose

Azalea Topiary (click on photo to enlarge)
Isn't it great when plants flower twice during the year, in Spring and again in Autumn!

My double performers have been:
  • Azalea - it flowered in May and is going to full flower again
  • Poached Egg Plant - it flowered in June-July and is making another show. Sown from seed two years ago, this plant self seeds every year and blooms twice.
  • Lupin Russell Mix - it flowered in June-July and is flowering again (pictured 4 Oct blog)
  • Primrose - it flowered in Spring, and is flowering again

I've started my 2011 grow list mainly seeds I'll be sowing in Spring (can be viewed from page tab). My blog reached 1,000 hits this weekend; I'm thrilled. I really appreciate all your comments & ideas, thanks everyone!
Primrose (perennial)


Poached Egg Plant (annual)



4 comments:

  1. Hey Kelli, wouldn't it be nice if the Veg would produce two crops each, just like the flowers!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These flowers are gorgeous. I especially like the pink azalea--your grandmother loved azaleas and I'm sure you remember how beautiful her garden was in the Spring when they were all in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when a plant is a hard-worker and gives you 2x the blooms. I've just started with roses this year - we're not permitted to use any sprays or dusts, so I've got them growing in the perennial beds. Not too many flowers yet - but it's just the first year. I'm sorry I wasn't around when that pie was served - it looked delicious. Welcome to Blotanical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelli, your Azalea looks beautiful and I love pink, your Primrose looks nice! Perennials are great because they come back. Thanks for stopping by my blog too, have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete