This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Sunday 28 November 2010

1st Snow in N Ireland

We had a dusting of snow on Saturday and Sunday. Lovely large snowflakes! 
Headlines in the local paper read 'Northern Ireland unseasonably cold freeze'. Last night temperatures were 10 degrees lower than normal for this time of year. Even so, it looks beautiful...

 Around mid-day the snow begins to melt... until more snow arrives...
So I've gained a little weight (haven't we all!); besides my fur makes me look a few pounds heavier.
Carex Grass
 The holly caught my eye walking through the garden. I have so many projects I want to be working on but will have to wait until better weather.

Other snowy pics can be seen at: 2010 First Snowfall Project.

7 comments:

  1. N.Ireland is lovely with a dusting of snow. We will probably have a bit of snow tonight. You winter projects will keep, stay warm, and enjoy a cup of tea. cheers. ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelli, your photos get better and better! What did your cats think of the snow? I bet they were a bit puzzled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A dusting of snow makes everything look so pretty. We've had quit a bit of snow here and there's more forcast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelli, you are having more severe weather conditions than we are, its is very cold down here but as yet we have had no snow in Cork city but it is snowing all around us!Much too cold to even consider gardneing of any sort!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful! The snow in your neck of the woods actually made the news here in the states. There must have been way more in other areas for that :-) You got just enough! I love the way your carex looks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How pretty! That puts me in the Christmas spirit. Then I look outside here in Florida and it is hot and sunny! Once 3 snowflakes fell here, but I have only heard the stories....

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful! Ireland is such a gorgeous country. Thanks for your snowy submission to the Snowfall Project -- I'll be putting it up later today! (I'm so glad I found your blog...I have traced my mother's side of the family to Northern Ireland, where I hit a wall, but hope to visit someday to do some research.)

    ReplyDelete