This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Thursday 23 August 2012

Photographing Insects

Two things I enjoy (but not always easy) - photographing and identifying insects in the garden. Just when I go to snap the camera they often fly away leaving me with a blurred picture! However I've manged to snap a few over the summer (the first two photos were taken while visiting the North Antrim Coast). 

I've used PhotoScape to attempt adding a flattering frame! 
Left: three little creatures caught in this photo - success!
Above: Comfry.
This is the first year I've spotted a grass hopper in the garden.
Above and Below: Canterbury Bell. (good times for the bee below!)
Above: flowering leek.
Above: Poppy 'Danish Flag' 
Have you had much luck photographing insects in the garden?

Copyright: All words and photos are property of Kelli's Northern Ireland Garden.

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics! Yes that is so true, you do have to be so quick to get them at the right time. Those fluffy bees are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love photographing insects! It takes lots of patience because as you pointed out they do like to move around a lot. Using a zoom lens is helpful. I am glad you got some shots of the bees. I love the two on the thistle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos. I never have much luck photographing insects, I just don't have the patience for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is tough for me to take a picture of an insect in my garden. I guess I could just take a picture of the bottom of my shoe after I stomped it.lol Very nice pictures. I love the bees

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos. Insects are tricky because they don't stay in one place for too long. You do nice work with Photoscape.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you know I love photographing small garden creatures too and I find the burst setting on my camera invaluable for this. You too must have OMP!Love the grasshopper photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done with your photographs - I agree that it is difficult - but you have managed to capture them beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photographs. When I last tried to take a photo of a bee,I nearly fell into the borage. It would not have been a pretty sight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kelli, there are two prerequisities for good Insect photos - patience and a fast shutter speed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love to photograph insects in my garden, just like you do! My favorite is to get a butterfly. I am very patient, and just hold my camera still and move ever so slowly. With butterflies, sometimes I just give up on getting close, and instead take the pictures from afar with my zoom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kelli, you've managed some lovely insect photos! Once I tried to identify the various bee's I photographed. I was amazed at how many varieties there are! Despite some cooler temps this year, it appears you've gotten some veggies to ripen! Sorry to be such a stranger this summer, I've missed my blogging friends! Cheers, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your bees are just beautiful! As is all your garden flowers. The poppy is just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely photos. I've only just started taking photos of insects this year, still learning.

    ReplyDelete