This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Thursday 7 February 2013

Veg Remnants

It's February and there's not much veg left in my garden. It's generally very cold, windy and muddy in Northern Ireland in January and February so I don't really get out into the garden much. March is usually when I start gardening again, taking on various projects and getting the garden tidied up. However, after seeing Mark's Veg Plot's post on the last of his parsnips I thought I'd check if I had any edible carrots left. I had a look (photo left) but I'm yet to go out pulling. (It's just too cold!) 
The kale lasts well over Winter, however, I can see flowers forming in the centre of the plant so they're really past eating. I imagine they'd be bitter tasting. I'll let them flower and pull them out in March.

Other edibles in the garden at the minute (not much) - a few herbs and leeks, just. I really need to get sowing but I'll wait until March / April.

Copyright: All words and photos are property of Kelli's Northern Ireland Garden.

14 comments:

  1. We must get to the plot to see what the snow have wind has speared for us

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely to still have some carrots left to pull, a real treat. Only leeks left in my allotment now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree...it is hard to get out to garden when it is cold. I am sure your carrots will wait for you when it is a little warmer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it is indeed a bit too early to start gardening. Too cold, too wet, muddy and sometimes snowy. We can just do a bit of pruning, but better to start early March, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's time for me to start sowing, too. But I'm not quite ready. I'm impressed with your growing kale and carrots all winter. That's something I need to try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You might want to check the kale before you simply yank it. The cabbage family plants in general do not develop a bitter flavor when they bloom (cauliflower, broccoli, etc).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I'll have to do a taste test.

      Delete
  7. Helen seemed to have some good advice...maybe you will yet get a meal from the kale! I suppose you are busy planning the gardening you will be doing in March...it won't be long! Happy planning, Kelli!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the time of year we call "The Hungry Gap", though I think plant breeders have done a lot in recent years to produce varieties that will extend the growing season. Case in point: broccoli, which you can get more or less all year round these days. The trouble is that to produce crops that are harvested in Jan / Feb, you have to plant in high Summer when the space is already occupied!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kelli. Like your winter veg. I see your growing that Italian kale (which I love). I have a suspicion it isn't as tough (in either sense of the word) as those developed on these shores. Next year I'm planning to grow up to 3 varieties of kale including variety "Hungry Gap". It's a bit of a tradition in these parts - along with neeps (swedes).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in the same position as you are - leeks past their best sadly only the psb now waiting for the first stems to show.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm waiting to harvest my PSB, no leeks but the kale did well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The garden looks cold. It is not quite so cold here. Hoping for snow, but probably wont' get any. We really do long for March don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Roll on March! I'm ok as manufacturing the slabs for peoples gardens can continue with a closed door at this time of year, but standing in the garden doesn't sound too inviting.

    ReplyDelete