This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Saturday 17 October 2015

Bug Hotel has vacancies

My little bug hotel was installed in June. It's supposed to attract bees, ladybirds, lacewings. So far I've seen a wasp fly out of it, and there seem to be spiders moving in from the webbing that can be seen. 

I'd love to see more ladybirds in the garden - if anyone has any tips on attracting ladybirds, do share any tips you may have!

Copyright: All words and photos are property of Kelli's Northern Ireland Garden.

5 comments:

  1. I think position can be a major factor in attracting wildlife to take up residence. I've had one of those solitary bee houses in my garden for a couple of years without any takers. I was just about to move it when one moved in so I'll wait for it to depart before moving the house, I might get a few more visitors then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're obviously thinking along similar lines... I'm not sure what creatures inhabit my Bug Hotel, but since it is quite low down I'm hoping there are a few beetles in there. Lots of spiders too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am wondering if ladybirds are what we call ladybugs here? I can't say how to attract them. We did have a old Russian olive tree at the back of the house that hosted hundreds of ladybugs. We haven't had such a convention since. You know that you can buy them to put in the garden. But they leave, so what's the point. I suppose if you leave the bug house up long enough, critters will come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May be the spiders see it as a fast food stop over

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ladybirds eat aphids so when the aphid population increases next spring, you probably won't have any vacancies. Give it time. As it gets colder, bugs might move in to find shelter. :o)

    ReplyDelete